Summary of Presentations from the TRB Chemedica-Sponsored Satellite Symposium held at the Annual European Congress of Rheumatology – EULAR, Paris, France, on 11th June 2014
Chairpersons: Johanne Martel-Pelletier,1 Antonello Pietrangelo2
Speakers: Francis Berenbaum,3 Jean-Pierre Pelletier,4 Burkhard Leeb5
1. Osteoarthritis Research Unit, University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM), Montreal, Canada
2. Unit of Internal Medicine and Metabolic Diseases, Centre for Hemochromatosis University Hospital, Modena, Italy
3. University Pierre & Marie Curie, INSERM UMR-S938, AP-HP Saint-Antoine Hospital, Paris, France
4. Osteoarthritis Research Unit, University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM), Montreal, Canada
5. 2 nd Department of Medicine, Centre for Rheumatology, Lower Austria, State Hospital Stockerau, Karl Landsteiner Institute for Clinical Rheumatology, Stockerau, Austria
Disclosure: J. Martel-Pelletier: shareholder of ArthroLab Inc. and consultant for AbbVie, Bioiberica, Merck & Co, Servier, and TRB Chemedica. A. Pietrangelo has not declared any disclosure. F. Berenbaum: consultant for Pfizer, Expanscience, Servier (and research grant), Sanofi, and AbbVie, and symposia for Rottapharm, IBSA, Genevrier, Bioiberica, and TRB Chemedica (and research grant). J-P. Pelletier: shareholder of ArthroLab Inc. and consultant for Bioiberica, Elanco, Endocyte, Ferring, Merck & Co, Pfizer, Servier, and TRB Chemedica. B. Leeb: participated in clinical trials sponsored by IBSA, Servier, Tropon, and received honoraria from IBSA, TRB Chemedica, Servier,CSC, Sanova, Bayer, Lacer, Fidia.
Acknowledgements: Writing assistance provided by Dr Tom Priddle.
Support: The publication of this article was funded by TRB Chemedica International SA. The views and opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily of TRB Chemedica International SA.
Citation: EMJ Rheumatol. 2014;1:33-39.
The symposium, co-chaired by Prof Johanne Martel-Pelletier and Prof Antonello Pietrangelo, opened with a discussion of metabolic syndrome-associated osteoarthritis (OA) and a brief overview of treatment options by Prof Francis Berenbaum. Prof Jean-Pierre Pelletier then discussed the use of symptomatic slow-acting drugs for OA (SYSADOA) for knee OA within the context of the new European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO) recommendations. Finally, Dr Burkhard Leeb concluded the session by discussing the indications, contraindications, and side-effect management of diacerein.