This symposium took place on 5th December 2016 in Vienna, Austria
Chairpersons: Rachel J. Bishop,1 Katharina Hohenfellner,2 Hong Liang3
Speakers: Inês Leal,4 Giancarlo Iarossi,5 Susmito Biswas,6 Carla Ferreira,7 Eleonora Maria Soler Pava8
1. National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Washington DC, USA
2. LÄ Kindernephrologie, Klinikum Traunstein, Traunstein, Germany
3. Service III de l’hôpital des Quinze-Vingts, Equipe S12, Institut de la vision, Paris, France
4. Ophthalmology Department, Hospital de Santa Maria; Centro de Estudos Ciências Visão, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
5. Bambino Gesu Children’s Hospital, Rome, Italy
6. Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK
7. Ophthalmology Department, Hospital São João, Oporto, Portugal
8. Hospital San Ignacio and Fundación Cardio-Infanil, Bogotá, Colombia
Disclosure: Mr Susmito Biswas has received lecture fees and travel grants from Novartis, Raptor Pharmaceuticals, and Orphan Europe. Dr Eleonora Maria Soler Pava has received travel grants from Recordati Rare Diseases. Dr Hong Liang is a Consultant/Advisor for Orphan Europe. Dr Inês Leal, Dr Giancarlo Iarossi, Dr Katharina Hohenfellner, Dr Rachel Bishop, and Dr Carla Ferreira have no disclosures to make.
Acknowledgements: Writing assistance was provided by Lynda McEvoy, ApotheCom, London, UK.
Support: The publication of this article was funded by Orphan Europe-Recordati. The views and opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily of Orphan Europe-Recordati.
Citation: EMJ Nephrol. 2017;5[Suppl 4]:10-16.
This 1-day meeting was held at the Austria Trend Savoyen Hotel, Vienna, Austria. The afternoon, chaired by Dr Hong Liang and Dr Rachel Bishop, consisted of a series of case presentations focussed on the treatment of ocular manifestations resultant of cystinosis, including the use of the novel gel-like formulation of cysteamine. Dr Inês Leal presented a series of four cases from the Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisbon, Portugal, illustrating the importance of early administration of treatment. Dr Giancarlo Iarossi presented a case highlighting the various examination techniques available to evaluate morphological and functional change during follow-up. Mr Susmito Biswas presented an interesting case of ocular cystinosis with concurrent congenital glaucoma, which brings a number of challenges. Dr Carla Ferreira presented two cases from the Hospital São João, Oporto, Portugal, that had two very different outcomes. Finally, Dr Eleonora Maria Soler Pava presented two cases from her clinic in Bogotá, Colombia, highlighting the good prognosis for patients when continual treatment is available.